We are moving our Exchange mail environment to Exchange Online, which is part of Microsoft's Office365 cloud offering. This upgrade will provide users with greater reliability, increased performance, additional features, and will allow us to continue to improve e-mail services to serve the changing needs of the WPI community.
Migrations of mailboxes are done "online" so the impact to the community should be only a brief outage when the individual mailbox is moved. Individuals who synchronize their mail to a mobile device will not likely need to change any configurations. Your devices should update automatically after the migration. Full details can be found in the "What to expect" section.
The move to Exchange Online does not impact use of current versions of Microsoft Office. Exchange Online fully supports clients for Outlook 2010/13/16 and Outlook for Mac 2011/2016. There will be no disruption to the flow of email and no email will be lost.
Please contact the IT Service Desk (call Ext. 5888 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org) with any questions or concerns regarding this process.
Thank you for your patience and cooperation as we work to improve the systems we support.
What is and isn't changing:
Changing: Increased Quota
- We are increasing the quota from the current default value of 4 GB to 50 GB
Changing: Outlook Web Access
- New URL: http://outlook.wpi.edu
- The user interface of OWA has been greatly improved
- OWA is now supported on all modern browsers
- Improved calendar view
Not Changing: Outlook
- No changes will be apparent when accessing mail from Outlook 2016/2013/2010 or Outlook for Mac 2016/2010
Not Changing: UNIX Mail/SquirrelMail/CS Mail/External forwarding
- If you currently maintain mail in the UNIX/CS mail/SquirrelMail, or forward off-campus, your mail access will not change. If you'd like to inquire about moving to an Exchange mailbox, please contact the IT Service Desk.
What to expect:
Exchange mailbox migrations are done "online" which means that your mailbox is available throughout the entire process.
Outlook for Windows (2010-2016)
When a mailbox move is completed, Outlook users may receive a pop-up window saying "The Microsoft Exchange administrator has made a change that requires you to quit and restart Outlook." Once restarted you should be able to continue with your work as if nothing has changed.
Outlook for Mac (2011,2016)
Outlook clients for the Mac will automatically update themselves when they connect to the server after the migration.
Outlook Web Access
If you are using Outlook Web Access (OWA), once the move is completed you may get an error message when trying to open a message or access a folder. If this occurs, close the browser open http://outlook.wpi.edu.
Mobile Devices and Other Clients
- Default Mail Clients (iOS, Android, and Windows Phones)
- The built in mail client will automatically update their configuration to point to the new server, as long as it was setup as an Exchange account prior to the migration.
- Outlook Client for iOS and Android
- The Microsoft app for both devices has been tested and will update automatically after the migration.
- Mail App for OSX
- You will need to remove and re-add your account after the migration. You shouldn't need to provide any configuration other than your email address and password. The rest should auto-configure.