Windows 10 Update Required
Action required for necessary Windows 10 update to version 1809
Critical security updates as well as improved functionality are enabled in Windows 10 version 1809. Security features added include virus & threat protection display and actions, folder access control, and Windows Defender improvements. Details can be found in Microsoft's online article What's new in Windows 10, version 1809.
- For WPI IT-managed computers running Windows 10, the update is available in Software Center. You can choose an update time that is convenient for you.
- WPI IT-managed lab computers will be updated by IT prior to the start of A Term.
- For personally-owned self-managed computers, IT recommends performing Windows Update.
It is important to update by August 7 as follows:
- Store data in a networked location, or perform a backup prior to updating your computer.
- When a Software Center prompt appears, click Snooze to see prompt later. NOTE: IT recommends scheduling for end of day or overnight, as the updates may take up to 3 hours.
- Open Software Center, choose Operating Systems, click on Schedule to set date and time for updates.
- Timing: Allow up to 3 hours to complete updates; IT suggests updating overnight.
- Scheduling option: You will be prompted to schedule the update on your computer within the four-week time frame to minimize work disruption. IT recommends performing the update while the computer is on-campus.
- Automatic Update: Computers not updated by August 7, will automatically update at 8 PM or as soon as powered on or rejoined to the ADMIN domain.
Frequently Asked Questions
- How do I know which version of Windows is running on my device?
- Enter winver in the search box next to the Start button (on taskbar in lower left).
- What if I do not perform the update by the time specified above?
- Computers not updated by August 7, will automatically update at 8 PM or as soon as powered on or rejoined to the ADMIN domain.
- If my computer is still running Windows 7 can I update it?
- Please contact the IT Service Desk to schedule a change from Windows 7 to Windows 10; this would be performed by IT. Microsoft will discontinue support for Windows 7 as of January 14, 2020 so we encourage you to contact us for assistance with this change!
End: 7 August 2019, 11:59 PM
Posted: 9 July 2019, 12:00 AM
Start: 8 July 2019, 12:00 AM
8 July 2019
7 August 2019
9 July 2019, 12:00 AM